Friday, May 4, 2007


May day (May 1st) is a big holiday in France, so everything was closed. I, having not much to do, and seeing the wonderful weather outside, I decided to get my butt outside.

(It has been at least 20 degrees without rain for the past month, a serious drought across Northern Europe that is very troubling, see article: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/0430weather.php

The great thing about Lille in the summer is that there is always something happening. I found the "Festivale International de la Soupe" ....thats right, the 7th Annual International Soup festival....with my bowl in hand, I set out to see what this was all about. Unfortunately, I seemed to arrive a little late for the Soup, only managing to try 5 or 6 types (they were great nonetheless). I did not miss however the festivities that surround this Festival of Soup. There were all sorts of interesting performers and other strange things like this mobile Hand washer that you see in the first and third picture. Where do people get these ideas from??? Its amazing!!! :)

There was wonderful music. I heard a few bands, one whose name I can't remember that played a mix of funk and soul and another named "MAP" Ministre d'Affaires Populaires. A really great hip-hop group with an arabic influence..

Overall, a great day!!!

btw, I've started a picture website where you can find all of my pics, check it out: http://picasaweb.google.com/iantrice
Posted by Picasa

No comments: