Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year in a New City....






I arrived in Copenhagen on the evening of the 27th after a pretty long flight without any sleep. I slept a good 10 hrs that night, which went a long way towards overcoming my jetlag.


It was so awesome to see Tanne again. As soon as I saw her in the airport, her face lit up with a huge smile :) An indelible smile.....the start of a wonderful trip.


On the 28th we spent the day walking around a little bit, exploring her neighborhood. Strangely, I didn't feel that out of place. I guess this was partially because I am staying with Tanne, a local, and she is able to communicate and show me around. The differences are pretty striking though. The language is the most obvious one. Danish is a beautiful language, a little like german or dutch. I've been trying to pick up a few words here and there :) The prices don't seem terribly different from Canada. In general things are a little bit more expensive, but things like beer, wine and cheese are less expensive.


The Danes are crazy about their fireworks! From the day I arrived fireworks were being shot off in preparation for new years. These are not the puny fireworks that we are used to in Canada....but are serious bombs and rockets....


On New Years Eve the sky was alight with fireworks all over the city. After a little dinner party with Tanne, her roommates and some of their friends (See pics) we went out to the city to see some of the show. It was like nothing I've ever seen before. The air was thick with the smoke of the fireworks being set off all around us. We went to a bridge near the centre of the city where people congregate to watch the show, and it was amazing......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so nice to see you having fun! especially with your gal!!! tell her I say HI! and good luck in Fraaaance! Eve