Sunday, January 28, 2007

C'est quoi Cheval???

I've been trying to follow the age-old saying "when in Rome, eat as the Romans do". So far this has worked out pretty nice for me. Great cheeses (brie, gouda, camambert, etc, etc, etc), great bread, great beer and wine. So I thought, I might as well continue with this philosophy. It turns out that another french specialty is....horse....meat....(insert grimace here)......

I thought I should take the good with the....not so good and try some of this so-called delicacy. I had it in a sauce that was slow cooked with some tasty Belgian beer and other good stuff (not sure what) and the meat, although a bit tougher than beef, was suprisingly pretty good! Next on the list: frog legs and escargot :)

Went to a really great open air market today for some grocery shopping. I loved it! it was so active with so many different stalls and people all over the place buying food, clothes and all other sorts of stuff at ridiculously cheap prices. I really like doing my shopping at a place like this as opposed to the huge supermarket (Carrefour is the big one here). I feel that I am somehow closer to the source and am supporting small enterprise. Its also nice walking around outside and being exposed to types of food that I have never seen before.

No comments: